No matter what type of restaurant you own, refrigeration is always important. You want to keep your food fresh and stored at safe temperatures. However, buying a commercial refrigerator can sometimes be overwhelming for those new to the restaurant industry.
It helps to understand all your options before making your purchase. These simple tips from Toro Kitchen will help you decide on the right refrigerator for your restaurant, bar, deli, bakery, market or other food service business.
- Understand the Different Types of Refrigerators Available
There are numerous types of commercial refrigeration units out there, so picking the right one will depend on your specific needs and space. Here are just a few you can choose from when you visit Toro Kitchen:
- Walk-In Refrigerators – If you have large, cold storage needs and the proper space to install a walk-in refrigerator, this might be a good option for you. These refrigerators come in a variety of sizes and can be installed and customized based on the storage space you require.
- Reach-In Coolers – Depending on its purpose, a reach-in cooler might be placed in the back for cold storage in the kitchen or out in the front with glass-door displays where customers can grab their own cold items.
- Under-counter Units – This unit consists of a smaller refrigerator that sits under a work station or food prep space. It might be configured with drawers or doors, depending on your preferences.
- Bar Refrigerators – If you have a bar, you usually want certain cold ingredients and drinks readily available for the bartender. There are under-bar refrigeration units and other types to meet your serving needs.
- Restaurant Freezers – You may need a freezer for long-term cold storage and specialty items. Commercial freezers come in all different configurations just like refrigerators.
- Determine Your Size and Storage Requirements
Before buying a commercial refrigerator, you first need to carefully measure the space you have in your kitchen and find a refrigeration unit that fits. You’ll also need to estimate how many items will require low-temperature storage. These considerations will help determine what size refrigerator will work best for you.
- Condenser Unit Location
The condensing unit is the part that does all the work to keep your food cold. Condensing units are found in different places on certain refrigerators, so you want it in a place that is easy to keep clean and will keep the unit running well. Truthfully, there are pros and cons to all condensing unit placements, so understand the options and find out what’s most preferable for your kitchen.
- Work with a Restaurant Equipment Expert
Working with someone who is well-versed in commercial restaurant equipment will help you find the right refrigerator for your restaurant. At Toro Kitchen, our staff will work with you to find the equipment you want and set you up with the new or used commercial refrigerator that’s ideal for your specific needs.
To learn more about Toro Kitchen, contact us today or stop by our Canoga Park restaurant equipment warehouse. We look forward to seeing you soon!